Sometimes he plays soccer, too, as seen below.

The next picture is of Cannon telling his teammate how his Dad taught him some "magic." Magic like "pull-my-finger-and-see-what-happens" magic.
"Hey, Gavin. Check out this trick my dad taught me. Pull my finger!"

See, a few years ago I received some advice from a wise man (it may have been my own dad) who told me this golden nugget:
"Wait until your kids are 4 years old before you get them to 'pull-your-finger' for the first time. This way they get to enjoy the complete magical effect because they are finally old enough to understand the connection between the finger-pulling-action and the source of the sound, but still young enough to believe that it is real." Well guess what. Cannon is four.
Recently I decided "it was time." So one evening at the dinner table and at an opportune time, I decided to reveal the magical moment.
I pointed my finger at Cannon and said the magical words that will stay with me forever. "Son, pull my finger."
Thank goodness I was able to perform with perfect timing. The look on Cannon's face was priceless. He was amazed. In fact he inspected my hand to make sure I didn’t have anything in it. When he couldn't find anything he said, "Dad your finger is magic! Do it again!"
Because I didn't want to overwhelm him (and the magic is limited), I was forced to say, "Sorry son. The magic has worn off for now. Maybe tomorrow."
These are truly the moments that make having sons so wonderful.
1 comment:
Gar, you're one funny daddy-o. Always get a good chuckle at your posts.
At what age is that lesson appropriate if instead of a son, you have a daughter?
Post a Comment